Monday, June 15, 2009

Firsts

You would think that after being here 5 years in a row, spending a total of more than 6th months here that I would have seen and done most Ukrainian Traditions.  However, In three days I have tried three new things.

1) Salo (Not really sure how to spell that)  This is something you eat. And aparently Ukrainians love it. The best way to describe it is bacon without the meat.  For those of you know know that I take the fat off my bacon to eat it.  This was quite a stretch for me.  I got most of it down :o)

2) Kvas: This was once described to me as Ukrainian's Coca Cola.  Not because it tastes anything like it, but that is the frequency in which this is consumed here.  Some one once described that this tastes like beer/sarsaparilla.  Christians here like it because of this reason and the fact that drinking alcohol is not something Christians do here.  Never mind the fact that  it does indeed have a small alcohol content.  It is so small they don't consider it as such.  I have know ideas, but maybe it is like drinking Robitussin.  As far as I was concerned it tasted equally bad. 

3) I held a jelly fish today.  Actually two of them.  The kids find them in the water and gave it to me to hold.  They are clear and either dead of not poisonous, because they don't sting.  But they sure feel funny to hold.  And afterwords your hands still stink like fish.

I am curious as to what other firsts this will hold.  I'll post others as they come along.

No comments:

Post a Comment