Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Funeral

Today I attended the funeral of a precious woman. When I think of her Matthew 5:5, 8 comes to mind, "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth...Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." She had such a quiet spirit, and beauty that radiates from inside. I wish I had a picture of her to show you, but I do not. 

The funeral was unlike ours in many ways, but then again the funerals at our church are unlike most even in the states.  It was a very silent time.  There "visitation" is outside their house.  People come and pay their respects in much the same way we do, but their is no one going to the back to talk about memories, or really to comfort each other, just silence. After, we went to the cemetery.  There was a whole row of dug graves. A pastor said a few words and then prayed. People closest to her kissed her forehead before the casket was nailed shut and lowered into the grave.  The women all put handfuls of dirt over, and then all the men grabbed shovels to close in the grave. The whole time silence.  I understand this respect, but I found myself missing desperately our celebrations of life.  And being able to celebrate that our loved ones are with Christ, even while we mourn.

I was told that her son was at our first camp, but I didn't know who it was until I was at funeral.
 At camp he was often off by himself.  During interest groups once he came to mine, but wouldn't participate.  He watched us for almost an hour, before joining in. In small moments we found him truly enjoying himself. However, because of his behavior and severe disrespect for his mother he was sent home early.  Please pray for him, especially, as I can't even begin to imagine what effect his Mother's death will have on him. At the funeral he was very somber, as one would imagine, and yet he mustered a small smile as he said, "Hi" to me.  He was very polite to all, but needed to make sure that his counselor from this camp and I received some food.  As far as I could tell we were the only two he served. I am glad that I went if only to encourage him a little simply by being their - as I had no words to express my sympathy for them.

Please pray for this family, for her husband, son, mother and siblings.  Pray for understanding of this unexpected death.  Pray that some how God's light and hope shines through this dark situation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment